Last July, I did my first Berlin Mini Jam. It’s a monthly event, usually on the 1st or 2nd Saturday of the month, where people from many backgrounds meet up at co.up and make games in just 8 hours.
I’ve been following their Facebook page since September 2012 but I never had the chance to do the game jam. So last month, while taking my vacation before starting my new job, I decided to join the July Mini Game Jam.
The event started at 12PM and I came 30 minutes late. There were like 30 people there and they has voted for the themes which were Pixel Art, Retro Style, and Light & Darkness. I teamed up with Lothar Narnis and Adam Streck, both whom I just met on the game jam.
We sat on the same table, introduce ourselves (which skills and programming languages) and quickly brainstorm the idea. About 1 hour later, we came up with a simple game idea:
- There’s a game character in a totally dark room.
- There are a few of light sources (some kind of spot lights) which can be turn on and off.
- The game character can only move within the lighted area.
- The game character can rotate the spotlight until you can see the next spotlight so the character can walk towards it.
- Explore the room until you see the exit door. Walk to the exit door and you win the level
The development ended at 9PM and we managed to finish the game 🙂
There are many fetaures that we skipped, like the ability to find a sword and destroy the monster, secret coins, polished UI, and such, but at least the basic game works with 6 working levels and a levle editor. After 15 minute break, each team presented their game.
Everyone were already tired but there were a lot of cheering and laughing during the demo. We were having fun on that day 🙂 The game jam ended around 10PM, everyone left and went out for a dinner together.
- July Mini Game Jam Facebook page, to see more photos and games